Home : Diving : Australia : NSW - Sydney : Botany Bay

Bare Island

Saturday, 28 December 2002 | link | tag | / Diving / Australia / NSW - Sydney / Botany Bay
Bare Island looked nearly perfect today, pin flat, crystal clear, not much wind and a nice warm sunny day.

Andrew, Phil and I decided to go in the left hand side of the island and head out and around the back as far as we could get.

An excellent dive. I could easily call it Nudibranch mating day, as I saw about 14 pairs of nudi's going at it. There was also an abundance of variable aphelodoris' around, which I'd not seen before and 1 other species I've not yet seen.

The dive was nice and leasuirely, and lasted for an hour comfortably - I still had 75 bar left at the end.This time we go in on the right hand side at the usual place and snorkelled out towards the back of the island before dropping down and heading back further into a deeper area of reef.

The visibility was not as good here, more than likely due to the large number of divers that had already been in, and the changing tide.

Not a lot to see out the back of the island, but we still saw a weedy sea dragon and a few nudibranchs.

The highlight of the dive was that Andrew spotted a Red-Indian fish right at the end of the dive. I had low air, no batteries left in the camera, but I still managed to get a couple of decent shots of my first Red-Indian fish.

We also came across a length of chain with a good length of rope attached. Andrew coilled up the rope to dispose of.

Another great dive - best time on an aluminium tank.

Bare Island, Left and Right Side

Saturday, 9 November 2002 | link | tag | / Diving / Australia / NSW - Sydney / Botany Bay
Philip and I tagged along with another 2 divers from the club. This day at Bare Island there must have been 200 divers - possibly because it was so rough elsewhere. We decided to get in on the right side first and swim out around the back as far as possible before dropping down so as to avoid the other divers as much as possible. It was very hard going. Snorkling in rought sea is NOT my idea of fun. We saw a huge wobbygong - scare the pants off me because he was coming up the other side of a boulder I was swimming over. I raced after him for a shot, but he vanished... There were some huge nudibranchs, particularly a large Splendid glosodoris on an otherwise bare rock. Biggest nudibranch I've seen to date. I didn't really enjoy this dive to much - lots of swimming on the surface, and the other divers seemed to need to be somewhere else all the time, rather than appreciating the things that we saw...Same people again, but after the last time a bit more content to have a relaxing dive. Last time I did the left side of Bare Island, several large caves and hollows had massive giant cuttlefish in them. These had been replaced with smaller juveniles. We saw the odd weedy sea dragon, and quite a few Violet Pteraeolidia nudibranchs high on the reef walls.

Bare Island

Saturday, 3 August 2002 | link | tag | / Diving / Australia / NSW - Sydney / Botany Bay
Shark survey. We attempted to catch and record as many Port Jackson sharks as we could. We ended up seeing 4 males, and 2 females, and mesuring nearly two - its far harder than it might appear.

The dive was hampered by conditions turning bad towards the end of the dive, the current picked up and we were sloshed about quite badly. We were exhausted by the time we made it back to the exit point.After the previous gruelling adventure with the sharks, Kerry and I were keen for easy and fun. We nearly got it.

This dive we went off on our own to explore the reef that heads of from the west side of Bare Island. This would be a test of our ability to navigate as a buddy pair, as the last time we tried it at Oak Park was a dismal failure.

This time we’re pleasantly surprised to find that we found the reef, enjoyed its offerings, and made it nearly back to the exit point without having to come to the surface for directions.

When we did surface, however, we had a little snorkelling to do, as I couldn’t go back down – I didn’t have enough air. We were both exhausted when we got back – the rough conditions really do exact their toll.

Overall the dive was good. A successful buddy only dive, and there were plenty of nudibranchs and big red morwong’s about. With it being a bit rough, we didn’t see any Weedy’s.